Whether you have heavy clay soil, your leaves are turning yellow or you want to turn those pretty Hydrangeas sienna blue, sometimes a soil supplement is needed to add necessary nutrients or change the pH of the soil. Below are some of our favorite and most commonly used soil supplments.
For soil amendments, click here.
Encap Fast-Acting Iron Plus
- Can help to keep plants and gardens lush and green all season.
- Iron is important to plant enzymes and proteins involved in growing vibrant green foliage
- Non-staining formula
- Maximize response to fertilizer
- Turn yellow leaves to green
- Heartier fruit
- Better flowers
- Greener shrubs
- A must to green up Azaleas
- Discountinued after spring 2020
- Fast acting iron supplement
- Turns yellow to green naturally
- Will not stain concrete surfaces
- For use on lawns, flowers, vegetables, evergreen & ornamental shrubs, berries, citrus, shade, ornamental & fruit trees.
- Use early Spring, or any time during the growing season where iron chlorosis (yellow leaves) exists.
Encap Earth Science Fast-Acting Lime Plus
- Fast Acting Lime™ was created to solve a recurring consumer problem, the need to quickly and effectively raise soil pH.
- A combination of high-grade, finely ground lime, Advanced Soil Technology™, (AST™) and Movement Control TechnologyTM (MCTTM), which provide Fast Acting Lime™ unmatched capability in performance.
- Small uniform prill size that dissolves quickly and provides uniform coverage
- Begins raising soil pH immediately
Encap Fast-Acting Gypsum Plus
- ENCAP® has combined finely ground dihydrate gypsum with their AST™, Advanced Soil Technology™ and MCT™, Movement Control TechnologyTM, creating Gypsum Plus AST™.
- Gypsum is Natures Aerator™ … by adding gypsum to clay soil the problems of soil compaction and runoff are lessened.
- Gypsum also helps plants absorb nutrients and helps earthworms to flourish that in turn provide additional soil aeration.
- In any type of soil, Gypsum Plus AST™ binds to other plant nutrients while also conditioning soil by increasing water penetration and reducing erosion.
Hi-Yield Blood Meal
- A very safe, slow-release organic fertilizer to use if your primary concerns are top growth and deep green color.
- This product can also be used as an organic animal repellent.
Hi-Yield Bone Meal
- Bone Meal is a 0-10-0 slow release organic fertilizer that is ideal for developing roots and creating a strong root system.
- Recommended as a starter fertilizer for almost any plant. But, works best for developing roots in spring flowering bulbs such as tulips and daffodils. You can incorporate bone meal into each planting hole or broadcast over the entire bulb bed and watered thoroughly.
- The “Rose Lady’s” recommendation as a soil additive when planting roses.
Hi-Yield Triple Super Phosphate
- Having trouble getting your plants to bloom? This product is recommended for application on plants that have a lack of bloom power.
- Apply as the first fertilizer application in spring.
- Good for plants such as Wisteria, Hydrangeas and Butterfly Bush.
- An enriched source of phosphorus; helps stimulate root development and aids in fruit and flower formation; easy to apply granular form; ideal for lawns, trees, shrubs, and vegetables.
Hi-Yield Aluminum Sulphate
- This is best used if you need to lower the soil’s pH.
- We recommend this product only for Hydrangeas. Aluminum Sulphate will turn Hydrangea flowers blue or will turn pink Hydrangeas a darker purple color.
- This product is not recommended for blueberries as blueberries need to be fertilized with a phosphate fertilizer to bear fruit. The phosphate has a tendency to “tie-up” aluminum in the plant making this toxic to the plant after repeated applications.
Hi-Yield Ammonium Sulphate
- Fast release, quick acting source of Nitrogen that supplies rapid growth and greening to all plants.
- Supplies Sulphur to aid in acidifying of soils.
- Application Rate: 3/4 lb. per 100 sq. ft.
Hi-Yield Calcium Nitrate
- Contains two important nutrients that plants need: Calcium (Ca) and Nitrogen (N). Hi-Yield Calcium Nitrate is used primarily in vegetable gardens, particularly for Tomatoes and Peppers, in the prevention of Blossom End Rot.
- Blossom End Rot is a common problem with tomatoes. It is a physiological disorder (not a disease) caused by a lack of calcium. When fruits are enlarging rapidly, sufficient amounts of calcium fail to reach the end of the fruit resulting in a deficiency of calcium in the developing fruit.
- Use as a Soil (Side Dress) Application or as a Foliar Spray.
Hi-Yield Magnesium Sulfate
- Contains a soluble source of Magnesium that is readily available to aid in correcting plant Chlorosis.
- Excellent for use on palms. Use to encourage white blooms on Hydrangeas.
- Application Rate: Foliage spray: 2 tablespoons per gallon Soil application: 1 lb. per 100 sq. ft.
Frequently Asked Questions
The leaves on my plants are turning yellow, what should I use?
After determining that insects and disease are not the cause, apply Iron to supplement the soil with much needed iron.
My soil is very heavy clay, is there anything I can use to break it up?
Apply Garden Gypsum to heavy clay soils to break up the soil and improve aeration. If using on the lawn, be sure to get a soil test and wait for the analysis before applying.
Everyone tells me to apply lime to my lawn and garden, is this necessary?
Sometimes this is necessary to improve soil pH. But, we recommend that you get a soil test and wait for the analysis before applying lime.
I’m having trouble getting my Hydrangeas to bloom, do you have any suggestions?
The main cause for Hydrangeas not blooming is trimming at the wrong time. However, if it has been determined that this is not the cause, apply Triple Super Phosphate as directed. Phosphorus will increase the plant’s ability to bloom. This is also recommended for plants such as Butterfly Bush or Wisteria that are known not to bloom.
Should I add anything to the soil when planting spring flowering bulbs?
Bone Meal is recommended to develop deep roots on bulbs such as tulips, daffodils, crocus and hyacinths.